Middle School Teacher for the 2020-2021 Year
The Serviam Girls Academy (SGA) of Wilmington, Delaware is a Catholic, tuition-free middle school that educates girls in grades 5-8 from under-resourced communities. Serviam’s mission is to cultivate the potential of young women through a challenging, holistic education rooted in the Ursuline tradition. Serviam offers an extended day and year model, partnerships with families and community members, and support for students beyond graduation.
The Teacher’s responsibility is to plan, organize and implement an appropriate instructional program and foster a learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential.
Reports to: Principal
Primary Teaching Responsibilities:
- Create and administer subject-specific, differentiated lesson plans and assessments based upon the curriculum standards adopted by the school for the purpose of assessing and addressing student competency levels and, when necessary, developing individual learning plans. Submission of plans may be requested by the Principal at any given time.
- Collaborate with instructional staff and provide feedback to students, parents, and administration regarding student progress, goals, and expectations for the purpose of improving the overall quality of student outcomes.
- Manage student behavior in alignment with the school discipline policies in a variety of educational environments (i.e. classroom, gymnasium, hallways, restrooms, school grounds, field trips, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Adhere to and support all Serviam policies, procedures, and expectations in professional and educational matters.
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings and in-service activities to share relevant information and discuss student and school-wide concerns as well as for professional development.
- Maintain appropriate records (i.e. grade book, aligned lesson plans, student and parent correspondence, examinations, and quizzes, attendance, anecdotal records, etc.) in the online database, class files, etc. for the purpose of documenting student progress in a timely fashion, as determined by the Principal or President.
- Maintain an attractive and positive learning environment conducive and related to the educational process and units and themes being taught.
- Maintain an up-to-date, electronic lesson plan folder in the Google Drive that is easily accessible by the principal in the event of an unforeseen absence.
- Facilitate homeroom and homework hour, ensuring that students report in a timely manner and quietly complete their work.
- Work with assigned student group(s) for advisory, One Book One School, and/or other programmatic activities, 1-2/week.
- Assist with the implementation of Serviam’s virtual Summer Program; manage the packing, unpacking and set up of your classroom (and other areas as needed); participate in planning and professional development meetings as needed or scheduled, especially during the weeks of August 17th and 24th.
- Participate in all professional development days, school events, and development activities, including Martin Luther King Day of Service, Evening Under the Stars, and others as scheduled or requested by the Principal or President.
- Assist in the overall functioning of the school, including cleanup, program duties, class coverage; development activities; and other jobs as needed.
- Fulfill Coordinator role as assigned and other duties as required.
Maintain a flexible and collaborative mindset to assist in the successful operation of the school.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all essential duties. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Commitment to the mission of Serviam Girls Academy
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Education or relevant field of study
- Current and valid Delaware State Teaching Certificate applicable to the subject/grades being taught
- Minimum 1+ year(s) experience working with students in an urban environment
- FBI Fingerprinting/Background Clearance REQUIRED prior to hiring
- Ability to communicate effectively and positively with parents, students and a variety of people and personality styles
- Ability to facilitate virtual learning by hosting online classroom instruction and assessment
- Knowledge of and skill with technology and relevant programming, especially those used by Serviam
- Google Classroom-web service, developed by Google for schools, that aims to simplify creating, distributing, and grading assignments in a paperless way.
- IXL-Math & Language Arts supplemental program
- Khan Academy-interactive practice for skills
- Nearpod, Newsela, and other online programming
- Thinkwave-School Management System software for custom reports and online grading system accessible to students and parents.
- While not mandatory, the ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable
- Perform all other related work delegated or required to accomplish the objectives of the total school program
Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, listen, operate a computer, hand-held learning devices, and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
This position description does not imply that the stated requirements are the only expectations for the position. Incumbents are expected to perform any other duties that may be assigned. Serviam Girls Academy has the right to revise this position description at any time.
Substitute Teaching Opportunities
Serviam Girls Academy maintains an active list of substitute teachers for all subject areas. If you are interested in being a substitute teacher, send your resume to Michelle Ray, at firstname.lastname@example.org